Do you experience or know of anyone with depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Sharon, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Sharon

Sharon Member

Home Page:
    There is a stigma that is portrayed when one admits they have depression. Some people claim that people just use the term to bring attention to themselves. Some use it as an excuse. However, it's a very real illness just like an infection or bronchitis where if left untreated could result in death. I wish there was more awareness of it and processes in place for people to seek help and get it.

2. zoldos

zoldos Administrator Staff Member

I am clinically depressed (I guess that means more so than "regular" depression). I've been on medication for it for about 25 years. :(

3. queenzelda

queenzelda Active Member

I have a clinical case of Seasonal Affective Disorder aka: S.A.D. It's not as bad during the spring/summer. But omg the fall/winter are terrible times for me. D: I'm on a few forums with dark themes & I tend to 'disappear' during the fall/winter month's cause I can't deal with having an all 'dark theme' due to my having this condition. :/

4. ladyowl

ladyowl Active Member

My ex mother-in-law used to tell my father-in-law that she didn't know what he had to be depressed about, he had chronic back pain from being in the coal mine's for 40 + years, he had degenerative disc disease, he took care of his 2 adult children, grandson, and dumbass wife, but yet she gave him hell for it... I would get so mad when she would say something and I was around, but always tried to not say anything about her popping Valium like candy.

5. zoldos

Did you ever find out why you have this? It's seems rather specific.

6. zoldos

:(

7. queenzelda

queenzelda Active Member

From what I found out it's inherited. My mother has this condition as does my grandmother. It sucks, but we deal with it in our own ways. :3

8. Flinch

Flinch Active Member

Zelda, are there things that can help that? Might some frequencies of light (or matching natural light) help? I do know that sufficient DARKNESS helps a lot with sleep. (That is, even a night light can interfere with Serotonin / Melatonin hormone awakeness cycles). I wonder if optimizing light for sleep cycles also helps with S.A.D.

P.S. this: http://sustainablebalance.ca/serotonin-melatonin-and-your-circadian-rhythm/

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    zoldos likes this.
  9. zoldos

:(

10. Roselillya

Roselillya New Member

Home Page:
    yeah I have depression/ Anxiety and on medication for it too

11. zoldos

I'm sorry. . :( You don't have insurance? There is a really good mental health place here that gives people free meds if they don't have insurance. I'm lucky to be on disability so I get Medicare.

12. Roselillya

Roselillya New Member

Home Page:
    live in Canada. I wouldn't mind getting on disability it would help me a lot, but oh well u_u/

Engage on Social Media