Dressing Goth in the bible-belt South

Welcome all souls to Macabre Cortex!
You have reached into the unknown & discovered a unique place unlike others you've seen! Sign up now or forever hold your peace!!
Create an Account

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:2)

Gothic Cowgirl

Lieutenant Commander
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
Pre-pandemic, I dressed classic goth or pastel goth, more specifically western goth, hence my member name, Gothic Cowgirl. I have my favorite online Goth clothing stores:

Kates Clothing (UK)

Good Goth

RebelsMarket

I'm conservative in my dress, but I do really like a touch of flair, which is why going a tiny bit of goth is fun.

One day, I was wearing my Necessary Evil long coat shopping at Walmart. It's an awesome coat with a hood and corset backing, long and great with either western style boots or black combat boots (Dr. Marten's). As I was standing in line, there was a little girl sitting in her shopping cart with her mom. She started pointing at me, and repeated the following, "Witch....witch, mommy....witch....witch, mommy...witch" Well, this was totally new to me, because I'm the furthest from a witch as can be....I just enjoy fun trendy clothes. The mom was very uncomfortable, brought her daughter closer to her and I decided the only reply I could make was that I wasn't a witch, and I was truly a nice person. Awkward......:rolleyes:

Dressing even a tad goth in a very religious county in Texas, not common. Getting noticed is what I don't want. If you dressed goth at Deep Ellum (Downtown Dallas, you would fit in totally). I usually wear dark clothing anyway, so I blend in....lol. Now, post-pandemic, I haven't really made an effort to dress trendy, now it's just athletic wear/yoga pants, simple, so I can run if I need too lol...:D

zoldos

Leviathan
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
I also live in the "Bible Belt" where there is a church every 50 feet and people say Harry Potter is devil.. :( I've managed to blend in though. When I first moved here 16 years ago, I stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm originally from Northern VA and everyone down here said I had an accent and I was constantly told "you don't sound like you're from around here". lol It took at least 10 years before I fit in and wasn't called a Yankee anymore.

As for clothing, same thing I've always worn, black sweatpants and a black tee-shirt. lol

Reactions: Gothic Cowgirl
OP
Gothic Cowgirl

Gothic Cowgirl

Lieutenant Commander
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
I also live in the "Bible Belt" where there is a church every 50 feet and people say Harry Potter is devil.. :( I've managed to blend in though. When I first moved here 16 years ago, I stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm originally from Northern VA and everyone down here said I had an accent and I was constantly told "you don't sound like you're from around here". lol It took at least 10 years before I fit in and wasn't called a Yankee anymore.

As for clothing, same thing I've always worn, black sweatpants and a black tee-shirt. lol
zoldosPeople are so quick to judge, aren't they? Harry Potter is entertainment....movies are entertainment.

During the civil war, Virginia was Confederate and West Virginia was Union. You were a rebel in rebel county when you moved south and they treated you like a Yankee (they didn't know there history; shame on them for treating you so badly). Virginia was considered part of the south. My husband is an Italian from New Jersey. His accent has tamed a lot, though give him the right moment and he can bring out Northern Italian in an instant.

I'm sorry you went through all of that. Kids are so mean.

Clothing, yeah, black, dark navy, dark sunglasses, incognito and clandestine. :ROFLMAO:

• Thumbs up!!
Reactions: zoldos
View previous replies…

zoldos

Leviathan
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
People are so quick to judge, aren't they? Harry Potter is entertainment....movies are entertainment.

During the civil war, Virginia was Confederate and West Virginia was Union. You were a rebel in rebel county when you moved south and they treated you like a Yankee (they didn't know there history; shame on them for treating you so badly). Virginia was considered part of the south. My husband is an Italian from New Jersey. His accent has tamed a lot, though give him the right moment and he can bring out Northern Italian in an instant.

I'm sorry you went through all of that. Kids are so mean.

Clothing, yeah, black, dark navy, dark sunglasses, incognito and clandestine. :ROFLMAO:
Gothic CowgirlIt wasn't kids, but adults who were intrigued that a "Yankee" actually lived here. lol

OP
Gothic Cowgirl

Gothic Cowgirl

Lieutenant Commander
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
It wasn't kids, but adults who were intrigued that a "Yankee" actually lived here. lol
zoldosWell, those adults missed out on their history lesson...lol..:oops:....my husband went through the same experience. He's an Italian from New Jersey. Funny, my husband and I were just talking about this last night. He had the same issues fitting in here in the south, especially with his accent. It's all good now, that was almost 40 years ago.

• Thumbs up!!

zoldos

Leviathan
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
Well, those adults missed out on their history lesson...lol..:oops:....my husband went through the same experience. He's an Italian from New Jersey. Funny, my husband and I were just talking about this last night. He had the same issues fitting in here in the south, especially with his accent. It's all good now, that was almost 40 years ago.
Gothic CowgirlCool! One guy thought I was Cajun. Umm...okay? :ROFLMAO:

zoldos

Leviathan
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
People are so judgmental...:cautious:.....All of my family is from "up North" I do get the talking fast thing as it does come with the dialect territory.;)
Gothic CowgirlI still talk fast. Most people I interact with here say they can't understand me or they'll say "Do what?" lol My g/f understands tho, since it's been us 24/7 for 16 years!

• Big Smile
OP
Gothic Cowgirl

Gothic Cowgirl

Lieutenant Commander
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
I still talk fast. Most people I interact with here say they can't understand me or they'll say "Do what?" lol My g/f understands tho, since it's been us 24/7 for 16 years!
zoldosWhat's important is that your gf understands you most of all! :)
:D
My husband can bring on his New Jersey pretty fast. He was imitating the accents from the Mark Wahlberg movie, The Fighter, last night. Pretty hilarious and I can't be drinking anything when he starts up with his imitations. :D

• Haha

zoldos

Leviathan
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
What's important is that your of understands you most of all! :)
:D
My husband can bring on his New Jersey pretty fast. He was imitating the accents from the Mark Wahlberg movie, The Fighter, last night. Pretty hilarious and I can't be drinking anything when he starts up with his imitations. :D
Gothic CowgirlI like doing a Northerner making fun of the south accent. lol

Last edited:
  • Haha