ghosts? afterlife? religion?

Welcome all souls to Macabre Cortex!
You have reached into the unknown & discovered a unique place unlike others you've seen! Sign up now or forever hold your peace!!
Create an Account

zoldos

Lord Z
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
Does anyone here believe in ghosts? What about the afterlife? If you do, then I have to ask, why are humans so special, that we get to go to "Heaven"? Or become a ghost? What about the thousands of other species on our planet? What makes us different than an animal? Aren't we just part of nature like everything else? And, Christianity has only existed for a couple thousand years, yet the "modern" human emerged long before that. Would they get to go to Heaven? Wasn't religion created by man?

Last edited:
  • Thumbs up!!
Reactions: Gothic Cowgirl

Goth

Private
Macabre Soul
Mar 31, 2022
Southern US
Yes religion was created by man...the Bible for example was written by men yet they like to proclaim it the word of God...Ghosts, yeah I guess they exist and as far as after life goes I do not know about that one.

Gothic Cowgirl

Captain
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
I believe there's some validation to another dimension that human's have not yet been able to fully tap into. I've watched enough of the ghost hunter's shows (and others) to at least have that inquisitive confirmation of the possibility of another reality. When my daughter went to Catholic classes before she ever started confirmation classes, I sat through the first class to observe. I was horrified that the Catechumen teacher told the whole fifth grade class that your pets are only spirits and they don't go to heaven. It took me weeks to get my daughter to a safe place about our pets. We love our pets and we hope to see them one day again. Would it be heaven, where would it be...is there an afterlife?

There's a STNG episode about the crew landing on a planet only to find people in pods. These people believed that when they died they had an afterlife. The crew arrived to find their bodies in these pods, no afterlife for them. This episode messed up both my husband and I for a long time. We would all like to be believe there's a place we go in the afterlife, where we will see our loved ones, our pets, be created as new, our bodies repaired and we can move about in another way but at peace. This is the hope, but I'm not sure. I had an event in my life, about 12 years ago, and I'd have to say, while I was incapacitated, blood pressure almost gone, I couldn't move, couldn't speak, did not see any light coming from the other side; maybe because I was close, but not close enough....but it was a blank space. I really don't know about the afterlife. What I do know, is that man is very guilty of creating gimmicks (shtick) and there's no doubt that has been a human dynamic for eons.

What I don't like about the Catholic religion is their claim that all Catholics to through Purgatory after death. Yeah, I can see right through that. Man, who added that in the Catholic bible probably determined that Catholics would go to church more, tithe and obey. Burning in fire until all of my sins are torched away, gives me zero comfort of an afterlife. I've known many Catholics that don't miss any church all week, because I think they are very afraid or have some private guilt that they believe on this earthly plane will be washed away so they can avoid Purgatory. I don't think so.

Faith is believing in what we can't see. Religion is a blind faith. The Christian bible has some lessons to apply to your daily life, but there's a lot in the bible that could be interpreted as very peculiar and "what were you smoking when you wrote that". No disrespect meant, just being honest. I believe that there's something to be said about the commandments for anyone, religious or not....as I don't believe in killing, causing harm etc. The screwed up part of faith is when it's taken too far.

I realize there are some that choose not to have a faith, I get that and respect that. I don't judge because I'm always in my own faith "uncertain levitation" too, and also because there's so much to question in this world we live in, especially now.

• Radical!
Reactions: zoldos
OP
zoldos

zoldos

Lord Z
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
Is that a TNG episode? What season? I like the Star Trek Voyager episode "The Next Emanation" where in an alien culture once you get to a certain age you are "put to death" (in a peaceful way) and three's this big celebration as you move to your new life. But actually, your dead body is simply teleported to some asteroid and that's it. But, other stuff happens!! It's really good!

My Dad had a "near death" experience he said a couple years ago during a dangerous surgery. He reported that he was flying over the Earth and then heard a voice (the Doctor's) telling him to come back, and he woke up. Interesting, but I think this is just the mind trying to relax your during your death. The brain remains functioning at least 5 minutes after your heart stops. Think about it.

Also, check out the movie "The Lazarous Effect" and "Flatliners" (the original is the best).

Gothic Cowgirl

Captain
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
I haven't found the episode yet. I was looking for it yesterday, a bit tedious, but it's Star Trek Next Gen. Oh, I recall that episode when you reach an age and don't get to live anymore. There was one in STNG like that when reach 60. There's an old movie, Logan's Run; Michael York. You only got to live until 30. 🙃

Gothic Cowgirl

Captain
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
Flatliners....good movie!! I'll look up the Lazarous Effect, I'm glad your dad is okay. Makes sense with what happens with your brain. Funny, I can recall a similar experience as your dad. People staring at me and being really busy it seemed, and talking but I couldn't hear them.

Gothic Cowgirl

Captain
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
I think in our deep conscientious we believe that ghosts should take on a human form, as we don't really know how else to associate their forms unless it's a human image. Take a look at how people believe an alien should look. Aliens still have arms, legs, bodies, but they add the big heads and eyes. We generally assume all ghosts are people. When you watch movies and they say ghosts are here on earth trapped because they wouldn't let go and go beyond. Beyond where?

• Thumbs up!!

Vamp

Cadet
Macabre Soul
May 15, 2022
Uk
friendlychatting.co.uk
Yes I believe in ghosts because we have seen one,.. to explain.

A few years ago we went on holiday to a house in Cumbria,(northern England).The minute I walked in I felt uneasy for some reason. Upstairs was worse. The only room that felt ok was the living room Anyway..as the house was at fhe end of a dirt track,(very rural) in a tiny hamlet with about 10 other houses,at night it was PITCH black.

My daughter was a bit scared tbh so I shared a room with her..the boys in another and OH in the other. The first night something tugged the end of my bed. I switched the lamp on expecting to see someone…no one was there and my daughter was asleep. Same thing happened the following night.

So after that..we decided to bunk down in the boys room.There were bunk beds and a double so youngest two in the bunks..eldest in the bed..mum on the floor. We couldn't sleep..so..we went downstairs and put the big lamps on and slept down there for the remainder of the holiday,

My daughter was having a shower one day..the bathroom had an old fashioned latch on it. She called down and asks if any of us had rattled it. Nope..we were downstairs.

The downstairs toilet btw had two HUGE meat hooks in the wall.

One night OH woke up and saw woman in a white shawl standing by the window.(he put the lamp on for some reason) When he opened his eyes again she had gone. He didn't tell us until we left.

Make of that what you will. If someone bought me that house and offered to pay all the bills/ food etc for life I’d say no,

OP
zoldos

zoldos

Lord Z
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
Yes I believe in ghosts because we have seen one,.. to explain.

A few years ago we went on holiday to a house in Cumbria,(northern England).The minute I walked in I felt uneasy for some reason. Upstairs was worse. The only room that felt ok was the living room Anyway..as the house was at fhe end of a dirt track,(very rural) in a tiny hamlet with about 10 other houses,at night it was PITCH black.

My daughter was a bit scared tbh so I shared a room with her..the boys in another and OH in the other. The first night something tugged the end of my bed. I switched the lamp on expecting to see someone…no one was there and my daughter was asleep. Same thing happened the following night.

So after that..we decided to bunk down in the boys room.There were bunk beds and a double so youngest two in the bunks..eldest in the bed..mum on the floor. We couldn't sleep..so..we went downstairs and put the big lamps on and slept down there for the remainder of the holiday,

My daughter was having a shower one day..the bathroom had an old fashioned latch on it. She called down and asks if any of us had rattled it. Nope..we were downstairs.

The downstairs toilet btw had two HUGE meat hooks in the wall.

One night OH woke up and saw woman in a white shawl standing by the window.(he put the lamp on for some reason) When he opened his eyes again she had gone. He didn't tell us until we left.

Make of that what you will. If someone bought me that house and offered to pay all the bills/ food etc for life I’d say no,
VampI'm sorry you went through that. :( I don't deny the existence of ghosts and spirits, I've simply never seen any hard evidence of them.

Gothic Cowgirl

Captain
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
I believe your story, Vamp! Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry though, you had to experience that kind of fear. I wouldn't go back either My daughter teases me when my husband and I watch a horror movie, that she wants to sage the house after the movie is over.

OP
zoldos

zoldos

Lord Z
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
I haven't found the episode yet. I was looking for it yesterday, a bit tedious, but it's Star Trek Next Gen. Oh, I recall that episode when you reach an age and don't get to live anymore. There was one in STNG like that when reach 60. There's an old movie, Logan's Run; Michael York. You only got to live until 30. 🙃
Gothic CowgirlYes, "Half a Life". He is researching how to save their dying star and Troi's mom likes him and tries to convince him not to kill himself. Really powerful episode.

Wow, I haven't seen Logan's Run in like 35 years. I remember it being pretty damn good!

OP
zoldos

zoldos

Lord Z
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
Flatliners....good movie!! I'll look up the Lazarous Effect, I'm glad your dad is okay. Makes sense with what happens with your brain. Funny, I can recall a similar experience as your dad. People staring at me and being really busy it seemed, and talking but I couldn't hear them.
Gothic CowgirlMy brother told me it's like falling asleep. Peaceful. That's how my Mom passed a couple months ago.... :(

OP
zoldos

zoldos

Lord Z
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
I think in our deep conscientious we believe that ghosts should take on a human form, as we don't really know how else to associate their forms unless it's a human image. Take a look at how people believe an alien should look. Aliens still have arms, legs, bodies, but they add the big heads and eyes. We generally assume all ghosts are people. When you watch movies and they say ghosts are here on earth trapped because they wouldn't let go and go beyond. Beyond where?
Gothic CowgirlInteresting point. Who knows what is really happening? Everyone's "reality" is different. It's all relative.

Vamp

Cadet
Macabre Soul
May 15, 2022
Uk
friendlychatting.co.uk
I believe your story, Vamp! Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry though, you had to experience that kind of fear. I wouldn't go back either My daughter teases me when my husband and I watch a horror movie, that she wants to sage the house after the movie is over.
Gothic Cowgirl It was honestly terrifying. Also under the stairs was a cupboard..but..there was a divider wall and at the other end there was another hidden section. I was scared to look in case something was hiding there! 😱😱

I remember looking over the banister at night expecting to see a foot appear on the stairs…😱😱
Also on the landing,half way up the window was stained glass…even the kitchen gave me the creeps

Gothic Cowgirl

Captain
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
It was honestly terrifying. Also under the stairs was a cupboard..but..there was a divider wall and at the other end there was another hidden section. I was scared to look in case something was hiding there! 😱😱

I remember looking over the banister at night expecting to see a foot appear on the stairs…😱😱
Also on the landing,half way up the window was stained glass…even the kitchen gave me the creeps
Vamp
Vamp, that's horrifying and so scary. Having seen the Amityville Horror movie (the book was scarier then the movie; read it a long time ago) it's hard to even think about what's beyond a secret wall...recalling the "redrum" in the movie. Stairways and obscure hallways with the stained glass emphasis are scary too when they are dark.

I'm just glad you got out of there!

OP
zoldos

zoldos

Lord Z
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
Vamp, that's horrifying and so scary. Having seen the Amityville Horror movie (the book was scarier then the movie; read it a long time ago) it's hard to even think about what's beyond a secret wall...recalling the "redrum" in the movie. Stairways and obscure hallways with the stained glass emphasis are scary too when they are dark.

I'm just glad you got out of there!
Gothic CowgirlWasn't "redrum" from Stephen King's "The Shining" (another excellent horror movie adaptation)?