Guilty Verdict for Young Woman Who Urged Friend to Kill Himself

Discussion in 'Death & the Deceased' started by Sharon, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Sharon

Sharon Member

Home Page:
    Flinch likes this.
  2. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Home Page:
    I believe she should be prosecuted, yes. If someone is depressed and suicidal and already contemplating suicide, to have someone tell them to "Just do it." is basically murder. She wasn't much of a friend if she encouraged him to kill himself. :/ If she can encourage her 'friends' to kill themselves, who's to say she ain't capable of physically killing someone?

Flinch likes this.
  3. zoldos

zoldos Administrator Staff Member

I don't know about this. All he had to do was put his phone down but he kept texting, etc. That's his fault. She didn't force him to keep texting. And they hadn't even ever met before. Being someone who suffers from depression and other aliments, I can attest that if someone wants to kill themselves, and is so depressed that they feel it's the only option, it doesn't make any difference if they are encouraged.

Now, I do believe the girl in the case should be given mandatory psychiatric treatment , but certainly not convicted of "murder".

@Flinch @ladyowl

Flinch likes this.
  4. ladyowl

ladyowl Active Member

Not sure if you want my opinion on this Z.. I have followed this case from the beginning, they had met once during the summer some time while they were both visiting relatives, they didn't live too far from each other, but you know it's not easy for teens to commute two hours to see one another. I think she is a disgusting human being, and definitely should be punished for this, the amount of time, I am not sure about. She knew the difference in right and wrong and pressuring someone into killing themselves so that you can get some attention is such seriously psychopathic sh*t. It would have been great if he had manned up and came to his senses, but obviously he wasn't in a good place, and instead of her being the support he really needed she was the exact opposite. Who is to say that if let go she won't do something just as heinous in the future, because she isn't punish appropriately, though again lets go back to Karla Holmolka, she didn't serve any where near the time she should have for murdering and raping women, including her own daughter, and was allowed to volunteer at her children's school until parents petitioned against it. She seems to be normal and fine, but who is to say that she isn't or at least in the future, won't repeat this actions? I just really feel like this girl is an awful person.

Flinch likes this.
  5. Flinch

Flinch Active Member

I am ambivalent about much of this (truly, having feelings about it in opposite directions). I think it was appropriate for the charge to be involuntary manslaughter. It really isn't OK to knowingly encourage a TRULY vulnerable person to kill themselves, and that is something which, perhaps, should be illegal. I could see such a prohibition, however, being too broadly applied to playful banter where there was a reasonable assumption that all parties were sufficiently grounded (even if it does, rarely, turn out not to be true). (But that's not, I think, what was in play, in this case).

I can see where you are coming from here. But I don't think punishment should be heavily influenced by a notion that the person's behavior might escalate to something profoundly more evil. (Like, actual murder). [The movie, "Minority Report" comes to mind. I absolutely love Samantha Morton ... "Jesus' Son", wow. And there's Billy Crudup, once again].

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  6. zoldos

I always value your opinion, and I expect nothing less than straight forward honesty.

I'm still on the fence tho. Should all the people on Youtube or Facebook who say very hateful things be charged with manslaughter when/if the person it is directed to happens to attempt suicide (and maybe is successful)? I know there are bullies everywhere, but you can't just lock someone away for saying something offensive or hateful. What about free speech? Did the girl actually FORCE the guy to sit in his truck until he died?

I'm not trying to argue at all, just expressing an alternate opinion....

queenzelda likes this.
  7. zoldos

Yes agreed.

8. ladyowl

ladyowl Active Member

As do I yours. I would never "argue" with you about anything, it's always nice to hear someone else's view point, even if you may not agree, how can you not see things differently if you aren't willing to listen? I feel this is different than online bullying, because she wasn't just saying things to be hurtful or to bully him here are quotes:

July 8, 2014

Carter: "So are you sure you don't wanna [kill yourself] tonight?"
    Roy: "What do you mean am I sure?"
    Carter: "Like, are you definitely not doing it tonight?"
    Roy: "Idk yet I'll let you know"
    Carter: "Because I'll stay up with you if you wanna do
    it tonight"
    Roy: " Another day wouldn't hurt"
    Carter: "You can't keep pushing it off, tho, that's all you keep doing"

July 12, 2014
    In these exchanges on the day before his body was found, Roy expresses more hesitation about his plan.
    Carter: "So I guess you aren't gonna do it then, all that for nothing"
    Carter: "I'm just confused like you were so ready and determined"
    Roy: "I am gonna eventually"
    Roy: "I really don't know what I'm waiting for. . but I have everything lined up"
    Carter: "No, you're not, Conrad. Last night was it. You keep pushing it off and you say you'll do it but u never do. Its always gonna be that way if u don't take action"
    Carter: "You're just making it harder on yourself by pushing it off, you just have to do it"
    Carter: "Do u wanna do it now?"
    Roy: "Is it too late?"
    Roy: "Idkk it's already light outside"
    Roy: I'm gonna go back to sleep, love you I'll text you tomorrow"
    Carter: "No? Its probably the best time now because everyone's sleeping. Just go somewhere in your truck. And no one's really out right now because it's an awkward time"
    Carter: "If u don't do it now you're never gonna do it"
    Carter: "And u can say you'll do it tomorrow but you probably won't"
    ---
    Carter: "You just need to do it Conrad or I'm gonna get you help"
    Carter: "You can't keep doing this everyday"
    Roy: "Okay I'm gonna do it today"
    Carter: "Do you promise"
    Roy: "I promise babe"
    Roy: "I have to now"
    Carter: "Like right now?"
    Roy: "where do I go? :("
    Carter: "And u can't break a promise. And just go in a quiet parking lot or something."

Flinch likes this.
  9. zoldos

Hmm....she does sound like a bad person. Why again did she do this?

10. ladyowl

ladyowl Active Member

I think it was mostly for attention. She immediately started posting on her social media about how her boyfriend had killed himself and how devastated she was.

11. zoldos

Damn...crazyness. Did she get any jail time?

12. ladyowl

ladyowl Active Member

That haven't given her a sentence yet, she can face up to 20 years, though I doubt she will get very long. She was 17 at the time, so she was tried in juvenile court also.

zoldos likes this.
  13. zoldos

I'm curious to see what happens....

14. ladyowl

ladyowl Active Member

So am I. I have been following this case since it first happened, so I'm real interested in how much time she actually gets.

zoldos likes this.

Engage on Social Media