Self driving cars

Discussion in 'Quantum Dot' started by Sharon, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Sharon

Sharon Member

Home Page:
    Would you ever use a self-driving car?

I don't think I could ever trust a self driving car completely. Not so much because of the lack of trust in the technology, I'm just not comfortable knowing how unpredictable people can be. Unless everyone else is using self driving vehicles or there is a dedicated lane for such I probably wouldn't trust it.

Flinch and ladyowl like this.
  2. ladyowl

ladyowl Active Member

I feel a lot like you do. I think that it would be difficult to give complete control to a vehicle. Though, like most things I guess we would become comfortable with them, and then dependent on them also.

Flinch likes this.
  3. Flinch

Flinch Active Member

[Sharon, I deleted my little response. Funny for a moment, but it wasn't worth it. I like what you said].

For one thing, it's probably a REALLY GOOD IDEA for all the software in that thing to be OPEN SOURCE. (Or, at least, have broad independent review and testing). When we're putting lives in that kind of danger, there need to be a lot of eyes on the code. (I'm just saying).

Carrie, yeah. Vulnerable is interesting (with lot's of moving parts) -- but this isn't the right kind.

... Being dependent on these things. I think it'll be a problem ONLY when EVERYTHING comes crashing down. Then what!

WHAT ARE some of the things you are now dependent on which you slightly regret?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    ladyowl likes this.
  4. ladyowl

ladyowl Active Member

My phone, it is the first thing I reach for whenever I get up. I can't have it any time taking these classes, I can't take it to work, It is a huge part of my life and I truly despise that.

Flinch likes this.
  5. zoldos

zoldos Administrator Staff Member

If we do get self driving cars it will probably be like the movie Minority Report (good movie BTW) where there are "tracks" that all cars carefully follow to maintain flow and cut down on congestion. It seems too difficult to make a car drive itself by simply using software to identify and avoid obstacles. That type of tech is still very far off....

6. ladyowl

ladyowl Active Member

https://sf.curbed.com/2017/6/12/15781292/self-driving-car-accidents

Maybe you will find this interesting Z, I knew they were a thing, but this kinda just shows what they look like. No, tracks but let's see how well this works.

zoldos likes this.
  7. zoldos

hehe I still think tracks are better! :biggrin

8. ladyowl

ladyowl Active Member

Safer too I am sure.

zoldos likes this.
  9. zoldos

Most likely! And the tech would be much easier to implement.

10. Flinch

Flinch Active Member

Self-driving drone vehicles would scare me more.

11. zoldos

Drones are already in active use for many different things. Not self driving tho, I don't think. lol

12. kingcool52

kingcool52 Active Member

Personally, I like driving so I would probably never buy a self driving car. However, for those long journeys I wouldn't mind one especially after you get tired

13. zoldos

That reminds me of the movie I, Robot. There are self driving cars but you can activate "manual Mode". Honestly, I'd love self driving cars on a track and if they get me to where I need to go and I don't have to worry about an accident, or being late, then hell yeah!

Engage on Social Media