Training a puppy

Welcome all souls to Macabre Cortex!
You have reached into the unknown & discovered a unique place unlike others you've seen! Sign up now or forever hold your peace!!
Create an Account

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:4)

Aaron101

Cadet
Macabre Soul
Mar 14, 2022
USA
What tips or advice would you give someone trying to try a puppy? We have a black lab.

And by training I mean the basics: house training, sitting, giving you their paw, etc...

zoldos

Leviathan
Creator & Admin
Feb 7, 2022
your PC
www.minds.com
What tips or advice would you give someone trying to try a puppy? We have a black lab.

And by training I mean the basics: house training, sitting, giving you their paw, etc...
My main thing with a puppy is house training. I'm not too concerned with sit or paw. lol

Gothic Cowgirl

Private
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
I have lots of experience in dog training. When I have a little bit more time, I'll drop back by with some details and ideas. Maybe Monday, because Mother's Day tomorrow. :) I have three dogs right now; 2 Pom's and 1 micro Chihuahua.

Reactions: zoldos

Gothic Cowgirl

Private
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
Here's some tips from a personal dog trainer I hired many years ago. These are notes I took and put in a word document for reference. I unexpectedly had puppies in my house, and it was a little mayhem.

Trainers concerns: housebreaking, (teach pups to use dog run area for their business), teach quiet command (Pom's are yippers), teach- come, stay and sit (the argument was for discipline with more than one puppy) and keep puppies away from the pool area. My personal argument for the "come" command is sometimes a dog may be in danger and not know it, and you need them to listen to you. We live out in pseudo country and we have owls, coyotes, bobcats, copperheads, other poisonous snakes, and birds of prey. I need my dogs to listen when I need them in the house.

Some training specifics on: Feeding, Housebreaking, Crate Training, Socialization (For the record, I'm not in full agreement with this trainers directions below. I've modified the trainers suggestions specific to the personality of the puppy or circumstances.)

Feeding:
No food or water in crates. Feed 3X per day as opposed to free feeding to control housebreaking. Use bells at door so they learn to ring to go out.
*To this day I use bells at my door for two reasons. If my dogs need to go out, they will touch the bell at the door with their nose and sometimes if it's urgent, really hit that bell with their nose or paw. The second reason, is if someone breaks in, those sleigh bells on the door will make a lot of noise.

Diet- use holistic dog food; Avoid by-products and corn. Good protein source comes from poultry, turkey, lamb, salmon and bison. Feeding should be dry kibble and meat mixture; ¼ to ½ tsp. of can food to to dry/ 2X per day for adult, 1/8 to ½ spoon of meat for puppy. If multiple puppies, Feed separately, put bowls in other areas; feed them in crates. Leave food out for 10 to 15 minutes. Free water while active only, otherwise, leave ice cubes in bowl, quenches thirst, but they won’t feel bloated. Once housebroken, leaving water out is okay.

Housebreaking:
Use of puppy pads encourages them to go inside. Trainer suggested taking the used puppy pad and bringing outside to teach puppies that's where to go.

Cut water off by 7:30 to 8:00 pm. Can have a drink before bed, but let them out before crating. (For the record, I don't crate, however, I do have a large fenced in place for them to sleep, so I know they are safe and there isn't any mischief in the middle of the night.)

Feeding 2X or 3X a day; dry kibble or meat mix. ½ cup dry w/ ½ can-adult, 1/8 cup dry with ½ spoon meat- puppy. Feed separately, bowls in other areas, or feed in crate. Leave food out 10 to 15 minutes then retrieve bowls. (These measurements were for small dogs)

Water bowl- free water while they are playing and eating; use ice cubes in bowls instead of free water during the day so they stay hydrated but not bloated. Quenches thirst but won’t feel bloated. Once house broken then water bowl can be left out. Reward outside, give treats, take treats outside. Use words like " hurry up”, “do your business” etc. personal choice on words that work. Dogs can learn to eliminate on command, give them treats immediately after elimination, giving them treats in the kitchen or later is too late for a reward. During reward use phrases that apply, like “Oh what a good boy to do a hurry up”.

Consider the following for housebreaking issues; smaller confined area, work on elimination cue ("go" on command words), bell on door with peanut butter, monitor food intake, be watchful on how long it takes after they eat for them to eliminate. (I know, gross, sorry, she said this not me). Don’t punish with accidents. Interrupt them during the action, pick them up and take them outside. Avoid punishment for accidents because they will think they are in trouble for doing their business and then they will go hide and do their business elsewhere in the house. Get them outside every half hour then increase to an hour and half and so fouth as they get older.

If multiple puppies- When running errands, take one with you. The key is to make sure they exist out of each other’s world.

Crate Training:

If crate training; Throw treats in say let’s go. “Crate –up” for getting into crate. Throw treat in crate throughout the day.

Bedding can be too absorbent, but if you prefer soft bedding, check daily, and wash as needed.

Get on a schedule to potty train.
  1. Getting up in the morning
  2. After exercises
  3. After eating
I do have more dog training notes, and I'll add them as soon as I can locate that other document.

Hope there's a tip that will help!

• Coolness
Reactions: zoldos

Vamp

Cadet
Macabre Soul
May 15, 2022
Uk
friendlychatting.co.uk
When I was younger we had a golden labrador..Honey…she was about 2 months old when I taught her how to climb the stairs…she couldn't work how she had to use her back legs as well… she got the hang of it though..miss her

• You're angelic!
Reactions: Gothic Cowgirl

Gothic Cowgirl

Private
Macabre Soul
May 7, 2022
Texas
www.friendsrealm.com
Zoldos- Keep us updated :ROFLMAO:

Vamp- I'm sorry about the loss of your golden labrador, Honey. We never get over our pets. I know how much you miss her. I've lost four Pom's in the past 4 years. I miss them all! All different and unique.